Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mosquitos in Milan

Mosquitos take their vocation to a whole new level in Milan.  Before, I lived on the ground floor.  Now, I'm living on the 7th floor (8th floor by US standards).  No matter where I am at dusk, whether entrenched in the internet or later sleeping in bed, I am attacked. 

The fear invoked upon your first encounter with these miniature monsters is incredible.  You'll do ANYTHING to avoid getting the swollen bumps and endless itching.  You'll sweat in your room with the windows closed.  Cover yourself with a blanklet or a sheet.  You move your legs around irrationally hoping that somehow this fast-moving and irritating insect will be tricked.

No, sir.  These mosquitos are a different breed from the ones in the US.  They move more quickly.  And they're silent---you can't hear them buzzing.  You can't even feel them sit on your skin. 

They're merciless--they'll bite through your clothes. 

My roommate is smart.  She has netting over her bed.

Why there aren't screens on the windows in Italy, I don't know...

I have begun to stop worrying about them.  Mind over matter is my next move with these blood-mugging manipulators.  I'll let know how that goes.

But until, then, I'm itching and moving my legs away...

Update, July 2:  I'm wearing mosquito spray at home every night--it's much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment